CLS Direct - Home Page

Site Map | Feedback | Key Shortcuts | Help   

3 Divorce and Separation

pdf icon

Download Divorce and Separation (PDF File, 295kb)

1. Introduction

2. Where to start

3. Separation

4. Divorce

5. If you have children

6. Supporting your children

7. Money and property

8. Making arrangements should you die

9. Dealing with emergencies

10. Terms used in divorce and family law

11. Further Help

The Community Legal Service

The Community Legal Service has been set up to help you find the right legal information and advice to solve your problems.

You can get help through a national network of organisations including Citizens Advice Bureaux, Law Centres, many independent advice centres and thousands of high street solicitors. All of these services meet quality standards set by the Legal Services Commission, look for the Community Legal Service logo:

Community Legal Service logo

Many of the organisations offer some or all of the their services for free. If you cannot afford to pay for advice you may be eligible for financial support through the Community Legal Service Fund (Legal Aid). You can order leaflets about funding from the LSC Leaflet line on 0845 3000 343.

You can use the Directory on the CLS Direct website to find details of quality assured advice providers.

The Legal Services Commission (LSC)

The Community Legal Service and the Community Legal Service Fund are managed by the Legal Services Commission.  To find out more about us visit our website at or find the details for your local Legal Services Commission office in the phone book. 

More about the CLS Quality Mark

 Click here to read more about the CLS Quality Mark

Use the CLS Directory

 Click here to go to the CLS Directory

Return to the CLS Direct Home Page

 Click here to go to the CLS Direct Home Page

Phone:01689 850227

The website of Resolution

 The website of SFLA

The Law Society of England and Wales
Phone: 020 7242 1222

The website of The Law Society of England and Wales

 The website of The Law Society of England and Wales

Department for Constitutional Affairs
For useful leaflets for couples with children
Phone: 020 7210 8500

The website of the Department for Constitutional Affairs

 The website of the National Association of Estate Agents

The Court Service Website
For copies of forms and leaflets relating to divorce

The website of the Court Service

 The website of the Court Service

National Association of Child Contact Centres
phone: 0115 948 4557

The website of National Association of Child Contact Centres

 The website NACC

Phone:0845 456 1310 helpline:0845 1314010
You can find local branches of Relate in the phone book

The website of the Relate

 The website of the Relate

UK College of Family Mediators
Phone:0117 914 7223

The website of UK College of Family Mediators

 The website of the Relate

Department of Social Security
Child Support Agency (CSA)

national enquiry line:0845 7133 133

The Website of the Child Support Agency

 The website of The CSA

Advice line:0116 2556 234

The website of the Reunite

 The website of the Reunite

Child Abduction Unit
Phone:020 7911 7127

The Website of the Child Abduction Unit

 The website of Child Abduction Unit

Freephone 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline run in partnership between Women's Aid and Refuge
Phone: 0808 2000 247


Wales Domestic Abuse Helpline
phone: 0808 80 10 800
8am to 2pm and 8pm to 2am


Domestic Violence
You can find the leaflet 'Loves me, Loves me not: You don't need to live in fear of domestic violence' in your local library or Citizens Advice Bureau.


12. About this leaflet

This leaflet is published by the Legal Services Commission (LSC). It was written in association with Imogen Clout, a solicitor specialising in family law.

Leaflet version: May 2019

go to top of page

CLS Legal Info Leaflets

Find a local Advisor

Enter your postcode or town to find a local advisor.

CLS Legal Information Leaflets Legal Factsheets CLS Fund & Charges Legal Aid Calculator Other Links Using Advice Search Topics Using the Directory Nationals & Helplines Categories of Law Charges Complaints News Quality Mark Information for Providers