CLS Direct - Home Page

Site Map | Feedback | Key Shortcuts | Help   

17 Personal Injury

pdf icon

Download Personal Injury (PDF File, 273kb)

1. Introduction

2. What is a personal injury?

3. What action can I take?

4. How do I choose a solicitor?

5. What are claims assessors and claims management companies?

6. What if I was injured in a road accident?

7. What if I was injured by a faulty product or service?

8. What if I was injured in an accident abroad?

9. What if I can't afford a solicitor?

10. What can I claim compensation for?

11. What if I am claiming fro someone who has died?

12. What if I am claiming for a child?

13. What if I am one of a group of people injured in the same way?

14. What if I'm a victim of crime?

If you have been injured by a criminal act (for example, you were attacked), you may be able to get compensation:

  • by claiming from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority; or
  • if the court orders the person who committed the crime to pay you.

You can claim compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority if, for example, you were:

  • the victim of an assault; or
  • injured while trying to help the police after a crime was committed.

You can also make a claim if you are a close relative of someone who died in either of these ways.

You should report the incident to the police as soon as possible. You must normally apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority within two years of the incident. However, this time limit may be extended in a few cases (for example, if you are making a claim because you were abused when you were a child).

To apply, you need to fill in an application form which you can get from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (see ‘Further help’).  You should get expert help with filling in the form.

A court may also order someone convicted of a crime to pay you compensation for your injury, loss or damage.

You cannot apply for this compensation yourself. You must give the prosecution as much information as you can about your injuries and losses (for example, lost earnings) so it can put them to the court. The amount of compensation will depend on what the offender can afford to pay. The most you will get is £5,000.

15. Further Help

16. About this leaflet

This leaflet was written in association with Roger Bolt of Bolt Burdon Kemp

Leaflet Version: October 2016

go to top of page
Last updated on 24 June 2016

CLS Legal Info Leaflets

Find a local Advisor

Enter your postcode or town to find a local advisor.

CLS Legal Information Leaflets Legal Factsheets CLS Fund & Charges Legal Aid Calculator Other Links Using Advice Search Topics Using the Directory Nationals & Helplines Categories of Law Charges Complaints News Quality Mark Information for Providers