CLS Direct - Home Page

Site Map | Feedback | Key Shortcuts | Help   

30 Neighbourhood and Community Disputes

pdf icon

Download Neighbourhood and Community Disputes (PDF File)

1 Introduction

2. What can I do if I have a problem with my neighbours?

There are many things you can do if you are involved in a neighbourhood or community dispute. You can:

What you choose to do first depends on the problem and the circumstances. Usually, you should consider talking to the person causing the problem. It is quicker, costs less, is less stressful and less likely to do harm to your future relationship with them than involving the police or going to court. However, if you are frightened of how the person might react, you should speak to a local community group, an advice group or the police.

If talking to the person causing the problem does not help, this will not affect your legal rights. You can always go on to make a formal complaint. 

3. Dealing with matters yourself

4. What is mediation?

5. What if mediation doesn't work?

6. What is a 'statutory nuisance'?

7. What if the council won't help?

8. Taking a case to court yourself

9. What can be done about anti-social behaviour?

10. Acceptable behaviour contracts

11. Anti-social behaviour orders

12. Further help

13. About this leaflet

The leaflets are regularly updated but the law may have changed since they were printed so the information in them may be incorrect or out of date.

go to top of page
Last updated on 15 July 2019

CLS Legal Info Leaflets

Find a local Advisor

Enter your postcode or town to find a local advisor.

CLS Legal Information Leaflets Legal Factsheets CLS Fund & Charges Legal Aid Calculator Other Links Using Advice Search Topics Using the Directory Nationals & Helplines Categories of Law Charges Complaints News Quality Mark Information for Providers