CLS Direct - Home Page

Site Map | Feedback | Key Shortcuts | Help   

30 Neighbourhood and Community Disputes

pdf icon

Download Neighbourhood and Community Disputes (PDF File)

1 Introduction

2. What can I do if I have a problem with my neighbours?

3. Dealing with matters yourself

4. What is mediation?

5. What if mediation doesn't work?

6. What is a 'statutory nuisance'?

To take action against someone causing you a problem, a council must be certain that the problem is a ‘statutory nuisance’. This is often difficult to decide, but the council must look at whether the behaviour (the noise, for example) is ordinary reasonable behaviour, and how many households it affects. As well as noise, statutory nuisance can include:

  • smoke, fumes or gases;
  • dust, steam or smells; and
  • animals kept in unhygienic or unsafe conditions.

A statutory nuisance must also be a health risk. Typical examples of a statutory nuisance include a neighbour regularly burning rubbish or leaving rubbish in their garden, which encourages rats.


7. What if the council won't help?

8. Taking a case to court yourself

9. What can be done about anti-social behaviour?

10. Acceptable behaviour contracts

11. Anti-social behaviour orders

12. Further help

13. About this leaflet

The leaflets are regularly updated but the law may have changed since they were printed so the information in them may be incorrect or out of date.

go to top of page
Last updated on 15 July 2019

CLS Legal Info Leaflets

Find a local Advisor

Enter your postcode or town to find a local advisor.

CLS Legal Information Leaflets Legal Factsheets CLS Fund & Charges Legal Aid Calculator Other Links Using Advice Search Topics Using the Directory Nationals & Helplines Categories of Law Charges Complaints News Quality Mark Information for Providers