CLS Direct - Home Page

Site Map | Feedback | Key Shortcuts | Help   

28 I'm being paid less than the minimum wage. What can I do?

Most workers aged 18 or over are legally entitled to the national minimum wage. If you are aged between 18 and 21 the minimum wage is £4.25 per hour and if you are aged 22 or over it is £5.15 per hour. Some people, including self-employed people and members of the armed forces are not entitled to the national minimum wage. Other people like apprentices have special rules applying to their wages.

If you think your employer isn’t paying you the minimum wage you have the right to look at any records that they hold relating to your pay. You should write a letter to your employer asking to see your pay records and your employer should provide access to them within 14 days. If you ask to look at your pay records you are legally protected against victimization or dismissal by your employer because of your request.

If you are not being paid the national minimum wage you should either contact a minimum wage Compliance Officer by calling the National Minimum Wage Helpline or speak to one of our employment advisers as soon as possible. They can help you make a claim against your employer and advise you on other relevant factors such as the time limit for submitting your claim.

If you have any other queries regarding the national minimum wage or wish to bring a claim then please contact the minimum wage Helpline on 0845 6000 678.

If you need help dealing with your wages or any other aspect of employment, we recommend that you speak to one of our employment advisers on 0845 345 4 345 for specialist advice. Telephone specialist advice is only available if you qualify for legal aid.


go to top of page
CLS Legal Information Leaflets Legal Factsheets CLS Fund & Charges Legal Aid Calculator Other Links Using Advice Search Topics Using the Directory Nationals & Helplines Categories of Law Charges Complaints News Quality Mark Information for Providers