CLS Direct - Home Page

Site Map | Feedback | Key Shortcuts | Help   

34 My house is part of a Council Stock Transfer. How does this affect me?

A 'council stock transfer' means that you change from being a secure tenant of the council to an assured tenant of a registered social landlord. Before a transfer can take place your new landlord must agree to offer a new assured tenancy agreement.

Your new tenancy agreement specifies your rights and sets out details of the rent and any other charges, how often they will increase, and how much notice you must get of any change. It should make clear the obligations of the landlord and explain your obligations on the use of the property and its state of decoration and repair.

If you have the 'Right to Buy' with the council you will still have the right to buy your home after the transfer. This is called 'Preserved Right to Buy'. Even if you do not have the 'Preserved Right to Buy', you may be eligible for the 'Right to Acquire'. The 'Right to Acquire' gives registered social landlords' tenants a statutory right to purchase their home with the benefit of a discount, generally between £9,000 and £16,000, depending on the local authority area.

The scheme applies to properties transferred from local authorities to registered social landlords after 1 April 1997, with certain exceptions such as homes in small rural settlements. You must have spent at least two years as a public sector tenant to qualify for the scheme.

If you are worried about council stock transfer or any other aspect of housing, we recommend that you speak to one of our housing advisers on 0845 345 4 345 for specialist advice. Telephone specialist advice is only available if you qualify for legal aid.

go back

go to top of page
CLS Legal Information Leaflets Legal Factsheets CLS Fund & Charges Legal Aid Calculator Other Links Using Advice Search Topics Using the Directory Nationals & Helplines Categories of Law Charges Complaints News Quality Mark Information for Providers