CLS Direct - Home Page

Site Map | Feedback | Key Shortcuts | Help   

Advice Search

Topic: Home > Housing and Homelessness > Homelessness > Local connection

Includes information about a local authority's responsibility to provide accommodation for those residing within their area and what comprises sufficient connection to a particular locality thus imposing the burden on the authority.

AdviceNow *
Links in this section open a new browser window.
Advicenow, produced by the Advice Services Alliance, is an independent guide to the best available information on rights and legal issues.

Local connection

If you make an application for housing, you need to show you have connection with the area. Details on what counts as a local connection.

6 Local connection

If you make a homelessness application and the council decides that you don't have a connection with its area, it may decide to send you to another area. This section explains 'local connection' and what happens if you don't have a local connection.
Provided by Shelter
3 Homeless? Read this (PDF)

This guide explains the rights you may have to get help from the council if you have nowhere to live or are about to lose your home. Most homeless people can get advice and assistance to help them find a home. Some people are also entitled to accommodation. Find out how the council decides who to house and what you can do if they won't help.
Provided by Shelter
4 Does it matter how I become homeless?

The way you became homeless will affect how long the council has to help you for. You may only be entitled to very short-term accommodation if the council decides that you are 'intentionally homeless'.
Provided by CLS Direct
5 Help for homeless people

Local authorities have a legal duty to provide help to certain people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. Explains who qualifies for help.
Provided by Adviceguide from Citizens Advice
1 Challenging the council's decision

If you disagree with a decision the council has made on your homelessness application, it may be possible to challenge the decision and get it overturned. this page only applies to England. You may be able to ask the council to review its decision, appeal to the county court, complain to the ombudsman or seek a judicial review.
Provided by Shelter

Advice Search 2 results found

Links in this section open a new browser window.




I am homeless. What can I do?
If you have nowhere to live, then you are homeless and you have the legal right to seek help from your local council. They must look into your claim of homelessness ...
size 13.0K

Last Updated: 19 Aug 07

Losing your Home - Legal Information
There are laws to help you if you have nowhere to live, whether it's because you're being unfairly evicted by your landlord, or you or your children are not ...
size 21.6K

Last Updated: 19 Aug 07





New Search

Top of Page

Find a local Advisor

Enter your postcode or town to find a local advisor.

CLS Legal Information LeafletsCLS Fund & ChargesLegal Aid CalculatorOther LinksUsing Advice SearchTopicsUsing the DirectoryNationals & HelplinesCategories of LawChargesComplaintsNewsQuality MarkInformation for Providers