CLS Direct - Home Page

Site Map | Feedback | ਕੀਅ ਸ਼ਾਰਟਕਟਸ | ਸਹਾਇਤਾ   

Advice Search

Topic: Home > Housing and Homelessness > Homelessness > Local connection

Includes information about a local authority's responsibility to provide accommodation for those residing within their area and what comprises sufficient connection to a particular locality thus imposing the burden on the authority.

AdviceNow *
Links in this section open a new browser window.
Advicenow, produced by the Advice Services Alliance, is an independent guide to the best available information on rights and legal issues.

Local connection

If you make an application for housing, you need to show you have connection with the area. Details on what counts as a local connection.

2 Help for homeless people

Local authorities have a legal duty to provide help to certain people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. Explains who qualifies for help
Provided by Adviceguide from Citizens Advice
3 Challenging the council's decision

If you disagree with a decision the council has made on your homelessness application, it may be possible to challenge the decision and get it overturned. this page only applies to England. You may be able to ask the council to review its decision, appeal to the county court, complain to the ombudsman or seek a judicial review.
Provided by Shelter
1 What housing the council can provide

If you are homeless and eligible for assistance, you can ask the council for help. It may have to provide accommodation for you. Whether you are entitled to accommodation and how long you will be able to stay there will depend on your personal circumstances.
Provided by Shelter
4 Does it matter how I become homeless?

The way you became homeless will affect how long the council has to help you for. You may only be entitled to very short-term accommodation if the council decides that you are 'intentionally homeless'.
Provided by CLS Direct

Advice Search 2 results found

Links in this section open a new browser window.




Losing your Home - Legal Information
There are laws to help you if you have nowhere to live, whether it's because you're being unfairly evicted by your landlord, or you or your children are not safe ...
size 21.6K

Last Updated: 27 Sep 16

I am homeless. What can I do?
If you have nowhere to live, then you are homeless and you have the legal right to seek help from your local council. They must look into your claim of ...
size 13.0K

Last Updated: 27 Sep 16





New Search

Top of Page

Find a local Advisor

Enter your postcode or town to find a local advisor.

CLS Legal Information LeafletsCLS Fund & ChargesLegal Aid CalculatorOther LinksUsing Advice SearchTopicsUsing the DirectoryNationals & HelplinesCategories of LawChargesComplaintsNewsQuality MarkInformation for Providers